Thursday, March 1, 2012

Xfce Tab and auto-complete terminal via VNC

I switched my windows system from Gnome to Xfce4 for a change, and ran into an interesting problem:  After I configured my ~/.vnc/xstartup profile to use the new window system, anytime I'd attempt to auto-complete in terminal (/ho<tab> for /home, for instance), the cursor would just blink, and no auto complete would occur.

This only seemed to happen with VNC sessions, but I did not explore this much because of the headless nature of my server.

Turns out Xfce was assigning something called <Super>Tab to the Tab key...removing this binding allows auto-complete to function.

It can be reached by Settings --> Window Manager ---> Keyboard, as detailed in the following image:


8 comments:

  1. This has been driving me nuts. I've spent countless hours on the "internets" looking for a solution. Thanks for pointing this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you as well! First result on google for this problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, changed that puppy to Tab and auto-complete works again.

    ReplyDelete